Dairy Free Pumpkin Custard
This year I made an entirely gluten and dairy free menu for Thanksgiving. I was also in charge of coming up with the dessert. Wanting to keep with tradition I came up with a pumpkin custard which I topped with a fantastic soy whipped cream which tasted pretty fantastic. (It looks like a redi whip container.) It is a super simple recipe and I’ll definitely be making this every year.
Yields 4 – 5 custards
1- 15 oz. can pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 – 16 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar, granulated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in the coconut milk. Evenly pour into 4-inch diameter ceramic custard dishes.
- Place dishes into an oven safe baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan so it comes about 1/2 inch high on the glass dishes.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes before reducing the heat to 350 degrees and baking for another 40-45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Serve warm topped with soy whipped cream (or all by itself) or refrigerate and serve cold later.