A New Twist on Puppy Chow
One of my favorite party snacks is puppy chow. You know – Chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar? Yea, that’s the stuff. So GOOD! And while most Chex cereal is gluten free, it’s the chocolate chips and butter that get me. Oh and for you peanut allergy people out there, I’ve got a solution for you too.
I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this or to make it, but just in case you didn’t think of it, here is the recipe for you. I’ve already tried it and it is delicious! I’m just hoping I don’t consume all of it before tonight’s bonfire.
9 cups – Gluten-Free Chex Cereal (I used corn Chex, but you can use a combo of corn and rice or just rice)
1 cup – Enjoy Life chocolate chips (these are dairy free, soy free, and peanut free)
1/2 cup – Justin’s Almond Butter
1/4 cup – Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread (this is also dairy free, soy free, and peanut free)
1 tsp – Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups – Powdered Sugar
1. Measure out 9 cups of cereal, place in large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, almond butter, and coconut spread. Microwave uncovered for 1 minute. Stir. Place it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until everything is smooth. Add the vanilla extra and stir one last time.
3. Dump the chocolate mixture on the cereal and carefully stir the cereal until it is evenly coated.
4. Pour the coated cereal into a 2-gallon zip lock back (or do 2 small batches in 1-gallon zip lock bag like I did) and add the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake to your heart’s content until all the cereal is coated.
5. Spread out on wax paper to cool before sharing it with your friends.