Black Bean Burgers (Gluten-Free)
I made these for dinner the other night and they were fantastic! Super simple and great to make ahead. The recipe makes 4 patties that you can easily throw into the freezer for future use. At 162 calories per patty and only 3 grams of fat, this is a definite keeper in my household!
Black Bean Burgers
162 Calories, 3g Fat, 25g Carbs, 9g Protein
- 1 (16oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bell pepper (color up to you, I used red), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (see recipe below)
- 1 tsp low-sodium salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 head of Iceberg Lettuce (for bun)
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If making ahead, place patties into freezer and separate with wax paper.
- Patties will seem goopy at this point, I put them in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to firm up a bit to make them easier to handle when cooking.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve on iceberg lettuce rather than a bun not only to save calories but to add an even healthier component to this already healthy meal!
- Top with whatever condiments you like and enjoy!
Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 TBSP Italian Seasonings
- 1 tsp low sodium salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place ingredients in a food processor and pulse on low until oats because a fine bread crumb consistency