Paleo Shepherd’s Pie
I found this recipe on the Paleo Plan website. It is a relatively easy recipe to make, just rather time consuming. I recommend it for an evening meal when you have the time to do it up right. I’d add a little more sea salt or onion salt to the recipe if I were to make this again. I paired this with some roasted balsamic beets. Enjoy!
- 3/4 lb parsnips, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 bacon slice
- 1/2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 lb white button, cremini or shitaake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1-1/4 lb ground turkey
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 egg whites, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Peel parsnips and grate with a cheese grater. Mix with onion salt and olive oil, and set aside.
- Cook bacon slice in a large saute pan over medium heat. Save bacon fat and leave it in the pan. Cool bacon slice, crumble, and set aside.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and celery to the pan with the bacon fat and saute until slightly softened.
- Heat a separate pan over medium-high heat, and add coconut oil when hot. Add onions, ground turkey, Italian seasoning, celery salt and black pepper to taste. Saute until turkey is fully cooked.
- Combine meat and vegetables in one pan and mix thoroughly. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Combine 4 egg whites with parsley and stir into the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Combine the other 4 egg whites with parsnips.
- Coat an 8×8 baking dish with olive oil.
- Add meat and vegetable mixture, cover with parsnip mixture and top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top begins to brown.