Crock Pot Corned Beef
I’ve never made corned beef before, but I really do enjoy a good Reuben every now and again. I saw this recipe and decided to give it a try. To my surprise, it was not only super simple, but it was quite tasty too. The best part? It only has 340 calories per serving and it makes a TON! Served with a warm roll and a cold Guinness, my husband was a big fan.
** Note ** I have since given up wheat, so I had no roll and no Guinness, but I was also a big fan
3 cups baby carrots, washed
1 cup chopped celery
1 large onion, cut into large pieces
4 potatoes, peeled and chunked
small head of cabbage, cut into wedges
4-lb. corned beef
1 cup water
1 tsp salt *
1/2 tsp black pepper *
* If the corned beef that you buy includes a spice packet, use either the spice packet OR the salt and pepper – NOT BOTH
1. Place carrots, celery, potatoes, seasonings, and water in a crock pot.
2. Add beef and cover with onions.
3. Cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or 5-6 hours on high.
4. Around 7 hours, lift corned beef and add cabbage, pushing the wedges down into the broth. Place corned beef back on top of the veggies. Cover and cook for 1 more hour.
5. Remove corned beef, cool and slice on the diagonal. Serve surrounded by veggies.
Note – Horseradish is quite tasty with this meal.