Whole Wheat Baked Turkey Penne
1 box Whole Wheat Penne
1 lb. lean ground turkey (I used HarvestLand)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp dried onions (or 1/2 yellow onion, chopped)
3 oz. can sliced mushrooms
2/3 cup low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella, shredded
1 jar favorite pasta sauce (I used Ragu Chunky Garden Vegetable)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray and 13×9 glass baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to box directions. Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with non-stick spray. Cook the garlic with the turkey until turkey is no longer pink. Drain the fat.
3. In the same pan with the turkey, add the bell peppers and onions. Cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in the pasta sauce and add the sliced mushrooms. Stir.
4. Add in the drained pasta and evenly coat the pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle in 1/3 cup of shredded cheese and combine thoroughly.
5. Pour the contents into the glass baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of shredded cheese on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
6. Serve warm and enjoy!
I love this recipe! It is perfect for a plan ahead meal because all you have to do is take it out of the refrigerator and bake it until it is heated through. You can easily make this vegetarian by omitting the turkey and substituting ground soy crumbles or not putting any meat or meat substitute in there at all. I served this dish with a whole grain roll and it was perfect. I was full after just one serving and have plenty of leftovers to serve my husband and I for the next 2 days.